'The army will continue to attack to bring a total, long-term quiet. Only when we reach that goal will we be able to speak about a truce,' Defence Minister Benny Gantz said as the Palestinian death toll rose to 43, including 13 children (pictured: Israeli artillery at the border, main; smoke rises from Gaza this morning, inset; an Israeli oil refinery ablaze, left; an injured Palestinian woman, centre; and the devastation in the Strip, right) . At least 230 Palestinians have been wounded. Gantz issued the fresh warning from the southern town of Ashkelon where two Israeli women were killed by Hamas rockets on Tuesday. Five Israelis have so far been killed by the rocket attacks targeting civilians, including a child in the early hours of this morning. The United Nations has warned the two sides they risk a 'full-scale war' if there is not an urgent ceasefire. 'Stop the fire immediately. We're escalating towards a full-scale war. Leaders on all sides have to take the responsibility of de-escalation,' Tor Wennesland UN Special Envoy to the Middle East tweeted. Israel says the militants have fired more than 1,050 rockets since Monday, with 200 of them falling short and landing inside Gaza, injuring many of their own, while the vast majority of the rest have been shot down by the Iron Dome defence system.
Follow our coverage on The Message board