NASCAR driver Ryan Newman has revealed he suffered a head injury in the fiery crash on the last lap of the Daytona 500 a week ago.
In a statement read out at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway ahead of Sunday's race, by Roush Fenway Racing President Steve Newmark, he said that the doctors have so far been pleased with how he is recovering.
'I was fortunate to avoid any internal organ damage or broken bones. I did sustain a head injury for which I'm currently being treated,' Newman wrote in his statement.
There is no timetable for Newman's return to racing, but Roush Fenway Racing said the 42-year-old Indiana native is determined to get back to the track.
'He has expressed unequivocally that this is where he wants to be and he wants to be back in a race car,' said Newmark, adding that once he returns, Newman wants to be the one to address his health personally.